We all know that management styles can run to extremes that hinder credit union growth. Progress can grind to a halt when micro-managers fixate on insignificant minutiae. On the other end of the spectrum, laissez faire managers can't lead their staff in the right direction because they provide no direction at all. The happy medium for credit union growth is to delegate some decisions away from managers, incorporating a team approach, where all members contribute to a winning outcome.
No sensible coach would send four players out to the basketball court and leave one on the sideline. Neither should you! Your credit union can't grow without all your players!
When it comes to making decisions for credit union growth, let staff members call the play from time to time. This generates buy-in from everyone and vets the decisions - nine times out of 10 resulting in decisions that will make your credit union grow.
Encourage your team members to chat it up in meetings, listen to the fresh ideas they bring to the table, and act on those with merit. The team can help you with strategy and implementation, and with setting attainable, measurable goals that bring growth to your credit union.
Simply put, empowering your staff makes them Happy Staffers who contribute to your credit union's growth in several ways:
- Keeping staff members better informed, educated and empowered enables them to make sound decisions when you strategize together. It's an investment that comes full circle.
- Happy Staffers want to continue their professional education and strive to do the best they can at their jobs.
- As with most industries, credit unions rely on word of mouth reputation and associated referrals to grow and to generate new business. Why not start that with your staff? Happy people like to hang out with other happy people and talk positively about their experiences, work and otherwise. And Happy Staffers talk to their families and friends about how amazing their work environment is.
Here are a few things you can do to empower your staff and make them Happy Staffers!
- Create goals that are attainable and measurable.
- Make sure everyone is on the same page.
- Acknowledge successes - nothing like a high five in the office!
- Remain flexible and open to new ideas and approaches.
- Work that flexibility into your staff's lives as well. You care about how they are doing at work, but make sure you also know them well enough to help them have a good work/life balance.
It's all a simple formula: Find the right people for the right job, give them the tools to succeed, then collaborate to make that happen. Empowered employees stay longer, making for a more efficient team. More efficient teams get things done and are happy doing so.
Look at successful businesses and how they continue to offer new or better benefits. They know it's worth the investment, as their staff has their back.
You and your staff can use the same formula for success, leading to those Happy Staffers who will enjoy their jobs, stay there for a long time, and consistently look for better ways to make things happen. It's a formula for success that allows your credit union to grow and grow smartly.
If you like this blog, you might find these interesting as well:
- Why Every Member Should Be Your Credit Union Brand Ambassador
- How Your Internal Culture Drive Credit Union Growth
- 11 Ways to Make Your Credit Union Members Feel Valued
- 5 Underrated Aspects of Planning a Website